Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VMLite 4.x
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...78910111213...16
TOPIC: VMLite 4.x
Re:VMLite 4.x 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 86
Shen,

Can you test one vhd this way? open Virtual Media Manager from VMLite GUI, click Release, Remove (make sure don't delete the file).

Then attach the vhd from Storage node on the right panel. v4 uses a different approach to register hard disks. the vhd files are now belonging to one vm, so make it easier to move the folder around. with relative paths too.
huisinro
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:VMLite 4.x 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi there,

how do I test this new option of cloning the host and what does it actually mean. Can I still boot my host as usual after cloning or can I only start it under VMLite.

Also I made some great progress in ragards to the performance testing last night. I am in the process of collecting some performance stats which I will forward to you later in the day. Everything looks much better now in comparison to VMWare server.

Dieter
aussie_bauer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

The New VMLite... shares files between vm and host. Your host is not changed at all, basically you will have a 2nd pc at your disposal, with same os and apps. I myself used this a lot to debug stuff.

The clone is not really cloning, otherwise it won't take only a few mins. 250G hd takes at aleast 2 hrs.

You can boot host as usual.
huisinro
graphgraph

It sounds very interesting. Do you some instructions on how I can set this using the new VMLite product.

Thanks.
aussie_bauer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

It's supposed to be very easy to use. go to menu Machine > New VMLite ..., follow the wizard to create the vm. The vmlite will be called "MyVMLite".

after created, then start the vm, it will boot to it, and you will see your host running inside the vm. It will takes a few mins to install drivers, etc.
huisinro
graphgraph

Hello, Huisinro—

I followed the procedure you cited (below), and the process played out as you described. However, afterward, when I attempted to attach the VHD file comprising my operating XP VM (under 3.2.6) on my boot drive, I got another error and was unable to attach the file.

The error was "Could not get the storage format of the medium "C:\Utils\VMLite 4 Beta\VMLite XP Mode 2\VMLite XP Mode 2.VHD." The details revealed this Result Code: "VBox_E.IPRT_Error". Same problem with the identical VHD in the Users section, BTW.

On the other hand, I was able to attach another, very similar VHD that was a few months older (earlier)—which had no snapshots—meaning that I'll only have to install some applications to bring it up to date with the one I've been using under 3.2.6. Could it be that the apparently-wacked snapshot condition in my newer VHD is preventing 4.x from attaching it? (N.b., though, that 3.2.6 still runs the VM that uses the VHD with the anomalous snapshot configuration. It's only 4.x that chokes on it.)

My plan now is to archive the problematic VHD and use the archive to bring the VM that runs in 4.x closer to up-to-date condition. If that's successful—and shows no snapshots—would that VHD be recognized and attachable to a 3.2.6 VM? If so, I presume that condition would likewise yield a snapshot-free VM.

In case you're wondering why I don't just switch over completely to 4.x now: Since it's a Beta, there are sure to be changes before you finalize it. I rely on the 3.2.6-based XP Pro on my boot Win7 drive, when I need to do something in XP, to avoid the problem of booting a physical XP installation and wiping out Win7 Restore Points. So, I'm going to wait until you have all the kinks in 4.x ironed out before I uninstall the 3.2.6 on which I rely almost daily.

In another message in this thread, you added commentary about New VMLite feature in 4.X. Can you approximate the size of the "clone" file as compared to the size of the file complement on the drive being cloned? Or is it just the host OS itself and the accompanying files that are replicated?

Also, can the "clone" file be located on a drive other than the host OS's drive?

Best regards,

Shen

Huisinro wrote:

>>Can you test one vhd this way? open Virtual Media Manager from VMLite GUI, click Release, Remove (make sure don't delete the file).

Then attach the vhd from Storage node on the right panel. v4 uses a different approach to register hard disks. the vhd files are now belonging to one vm, so make it easier to move the folder around. with relative paths too.<<
Shenzie
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...78910111213...16