Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

What if i have a windows xp professional cd?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: What if i have a windows xp professional cd?
What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
it says only a pre existing Windows XP mode, a VHD or a XP Mode Package file is available to set up the workstation..

what if i have the cd?

and i have a xp professional desktop, is it possible to use MyOldPcs and only get the OS out of it??

i dont have a portable hard drive or usb big enough to fit everything, literally.
joseph10444
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/12/13 18:34 By joseph10444.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
You can surely use your OS CD to create an xpm vm. You need to create an empty vm, then install the guest OS from your CD. When vm boots up, you need to install VMLite Guest Additions, then setup Shared Folders.

open VMLite Workstation, goto menu Machine > New VM..., follow the wizard, to create a vm. Then insert your CD, and boot the vm. You will see same process as your install XP to a physical computer.

Press Right-Control key to release mouse
admin
graph
User Offline
Last Edit: 2009/12/13 18:38 By .

Re: What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
admin wrote:
You can surely use your OS CD to create an xpm vm. You need to create an empty vm, then install the guest OS from your CD. When vm boots up, you need to install VMLite Guest Additions, then setup Shared Folders.

open VMLite Workstation, goto menu Machine > New VM..., follow the wizard, to create a vm. Then insert your CD, and boot the vm. You will see same process as your install XP to a physical computer.

Press Right-Control key to release mouse

ic i will try that thank u
joseph10444
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
admin wrote:

Does that OS CD have to be bootable?
Thanks.
edmikeca
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 52
Yes, the OS CD must be bootable if you want to create a vm from scratch.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: What if i have a windows xp professional cd? 9 Years ago Karma: 0
The laptop that I wish to use VMLite on does not have a CDROM drive. Is there a way around this to build a VM from an XP CD? Perhaps build on another machine then copy over?
monkeyboy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12