Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
MyOldPCs forum
Go to bottomPage: 12345
TOPIC: MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest
MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
My first try with MyOldPCs, Version (??? unknown, Pls tell me):

System to convert to a VM:
Windows XP SP2 32-bit
HD: 40 GB
Partition 01: 25 GB, drive: c:, used about 3,86 GB, used for System and programs
Partition 02: 15 GB, drive: d:, used about 2,12 GB, used for user-data

1. Screenshot of execution

Step 01:

Step 02:

Step 03:

Step 03 - ERROR / problem 01:

It IS definitively WRONG that there is not enough free space to store the virtual machine at the target folder !!!
After I've found a workaround for this little bug / slight neglect, I got a "*.vmdk"-file with only 5,41 GB.

I think the error occurs, bcause checking the size of the old PCs partions and not the used space of the old PCs partitions USED space.

The second reasdon is, I think, checking the free space of the target partition and not the real free space of the target folder.

Upon my test, the target partition had a free space of only about 5 GB, BUT the free space of the target folder had about 40 GB of free space, because the target folder is a junction from a completely emtpy partition.

Well, my current workaround for this is, to srink the partions of my old PC to 10 GB for drive c: and 5 GB for drive d:.
Next I extendet the target partion with the junction on it, from 5 GB to 40 GB.

That worked for me for this bug / slight neglect ...

O.K. thats enough for this thread, next problem in the next thread ...

admin, what do you think about this, so far ???

Uwe
uwe
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/12/14 09:38 By uwe.Reason: inadequateness in forum software
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Uwe

Re: MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
good points. We can fix the error.

But the more critical issue is the virtual disk file may not be mounted from this kind of special folders. That might be the cause of your previous bugs.

Can you post more about how your v:\-vml- folder is created? how did you make the junction? to where it points to? etc.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
admin wrote:
good points. We can fix the error.
Thanks, I'll wait and hopefully see ...

admin wrote:
But the more critical issue is the virtual disk file may not be mounted from this kind of special folders. That might be the cause of your previous bugs.

Pls, have a look at:
[MOPs v.?]Add to VML-WS OK but MOP-VM startproblem, Post #487
www.vmlite.com/index.php/forums/10-myold...-vm-startproblem#487

admin wrote:
Can you post more about how your v:\-vml- folder is created?

certainly, to create my folder "v:\-vml-", given that I have a partition with drive-letter "v:" I could used the following commands:
v: [ENTER]
cd \
md "- vml -"

admin wrote:
how did you make the junction? to where it points to? etc.

I don't remember if I used "MKLINK" inplemented in cmd.exe or "junction.exe" from SYSINTERNALS.

The junction is the folder where all the VML-WS-VMs should reside in
dir "v:\- vml -\" [enter]

2009.12.13 15:55 <JUNCTION> VMLites [F:\- vml -\VMLites]

My junctions point to any partition/folder where I have enough free space.
ALL my VMs start from partition v:, the reason why I use junctions, is that I can flexible change the physical partition, without the need of changing VM's configuration.

And this concept works for me, for about some years, sicne the existens of junctions in Windows.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Uwe
uwe
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Uwe

Re: MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
Will try to duplicate your scenarios.

As a sanity check, can you re-run MyOldPCs and save it to an external hard disk? Your complex folder structure seems to give vmlite headaches.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: MOPs[ v.?] First run first problems + some suggest 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
admin wrote:
Will try to duplicate your scenarios.
Thanks.

admin wrote:
Your complex folder structure seems to give vmlite headaches.

O.K., maybe, but if my simple folder structure not works with VML, don't you think, VML has a problem. My folder structure works for all VM-software I ever have tested.
But...

admin wrote:
As a sanity check, can you re-run MyOldPCs and save it to an external hard disk?

let's make things easier ...

PLS, tell me the EXACT path and file-names I should use for testing your MyOldPCs
Or better, give me a complite step by step description what I should test for you.

Uwe
uwe
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Uwe

follow all default settings, but specify an external hard disk, or regular local folder to store the generated files.

You also have the same problem for your xpm vm.

I agree there must be a bug from our software. Both VMLite and MyOldPCs use a virtual disk driver, that driver may have problems reading a file residing in a junction directory. The kernel driver uses some NT format to access the virtual disk file, e.g., \??\v:\.... We have verified, if V: is a network drive, then won't work. Your junction might have similar behaviors. We need to test.
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 12345