Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file?
Re:Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
On my laptop Intel inside, I have Vista, XP, and 3 linux boxes. On XP, my main OS, I have a VMDK Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I run Sun VirtualBox to test different OS, like g-OS.

All of that leads to an unavoidable clogged crap : loss of valuable disk space through multiple partitions and VM images, same application duplicated x times, temp/log files everywhere, virtual machines + linux wine, etc.

I don't see why I should buy an Apple machine (maybe when they get rid of these stupid mirror-like LCD screens) but there are software designed for Mac OS X that are a must have unfortunately not available elsewhere. Hence the need for a Mac OS X virtual disk file.

The point here, and I think it's gonna be the future, all OS must disappear. Well, maybe not all...

I see it this way : the main problem with computers is the Microsoft marketing which prevent devices manufacturers to open source their drivers. Then, we have a problem with the devices themselves (Why change the size of the PCMCIA slot to a narrower ExpressCard? To build incompatibility? Why get rid of serial port? Why e-Sata ports are spare? ETC.), and then we have computer and devices manufacturers (even Apple) who definitely don't think and don't have any vision.

I don't care which OS is on my laptop (keep that in mind : more than 50% of computer sold are laptops, and rate is growing). I don't care much for the machine itself, though, but I count my $$$.

What I want is the best of all worlds, keep my habits and preferred applications.

For example, I wish I could run Linux Apache and python scripts in Linux mode, run Apple's Numbers and my excellent Mac's payroll software (based on 4D), or even run an old DOS application like ranish. Without rebooting or light up another VM...

If someone creates a new desktop thing from where I can run transparently any application from any OS while using smoothly my devices (especially the touchpad), I sure will buy it.

Meanwhile, and to conclude, when people answer 'no' to your question, it does not mean that there is not a real need for a Mac OS X virtual disk file. Go ahead, guys!
paulmartin9300
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Well, don't replace OSX with Windows &/or Linux! VBooting OSX is fine, (the more VBoot features, the better,) but personally I hate Apple products & Windows + Linux are the only kinds of OS' I would choose...
MASTER260
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
if we do, it will be booting from a single file on Mac first
admin
graph
User Offline

YES,,,
to run Leopard in vmlite is just wha we need..
I´ve allready have leopard running in VMWare, but lacking a good videodriver makes it almost unusable...
bola_dor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
did some initial proof of concept, Mac OS X should be able to boot from a single virtual disk file, just like VBoot does Windows/Linux. Not sure when we will have a release version, this is not our priority.

We are currently improving and integrating the Linux version to VBoot, so Linux will also support immutable boot and snapshots.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re:Anyone wanted to boot Mac OS X from a virtual disk file? 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
YES!
remikm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123