Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VMLite 4.x
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...910111213141516
TOPIC: VMLite 4.x
Re:VMLite 4.x 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello, huisinro—

About three weeks ago, I asked if VMLWS 4.2 would allow specification of the actual SCSI controller in a PC (as part of the configuration of a VM) so that I could select non-HD SCSI devices attached. In your response, below, you discussed the VMLWS SCSI driver and how it was limited in scope by design...and you also commented that you didn't know of any other VM software that would allow recognition of physical SCSI devices.

It may be that the way I asked my question was a bit off-mark, since I was focusing on the physical SCSI controller. What I should have been asking specifically is if the VMLWS SCSI controller could be able to recognize non-HD SCSI devices.

Having clarified that, I'm reporting back that VMWS 7.1's SCSI controller does allow ID of non-HD SCSI devices...and I've been able to to get both an XP VM and a Win98 VM to recognize and operate my HP scanner and Onstream tape device, both SCSI.

The complicating factor that led me to believe that this wasn't possible in VMWS is that neither of these two SCSI devices is recognized explicitly in Win7 (the host OS I use). FWIW, I can use the scanner by having the Device Manager scan for new devices—it never shows in the hardware queue, but it works with all applications. The tape device is similar: not recognized or reported by the DM, but when a manual scan for new devices is performed, the tape device is recognized by applications.

Once I've persuaded the host OS to be aware of the devices and assured that the VM Tools are loaded, it's then possible to select either or both in the Settings dialog for the VMWS VM. The devices are recognized by SCSI IDs.

I've taken a couple of screen shots that show the identification/selection of one device and the recognition of it in the Device Manager hardware queue (of the guest OS) in the VM. I can post them if you'd care to see...though I doubt that you need a picture to verify.

If there's a way for the VMLWS SCSI controller to do the same thing, it would be great. Can that be added to the "tweaks" list? And if I'm not pushing too hard, could you think again about giving better than 800 x 600, 16-color display in a Win98 VM? The "other brand" allows essentially whatever the monitor can support—I run Win98 apps in a 1260 x 1024, 32-bit color environment in a VM.

Best regards,

Shen

huisinro wrote:
It still won't recognize physical SCSI devices, only USB devices will be recognized. So far, I don't know if any other vm software would do this, except you may want to play with PCI passthru, but not available on vmlite yet. If you know any other vm can do this, please let me know.

The SCSI driver inside vm is different, it's mainly for disks. We are thinking of providing our own virtual scsi driver for the vm to accelerate the performance using our super fast vboot infrastructure (www.vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_cont...id=67&Itemid=177), this is still in very early stage. However, this won't help to recongnize your physical SCSI devices.
Shenzie
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:VMLite 4.x 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Is there a beta version for the VMLiteXPModePlugin for VirtualBox 4.1.8?
I would like to test it.
vbachem
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:VMLite 4.x 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
Quick question; is there a way to re-enable the VMLite Workstation Manager icon in the notification area of the taskbar? I miss this feature from 3.2.6
otamayo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Slightly more of a serious issue with the 4.2 beta now; on my VMs I am getting the "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" error when I try accessing any shares directly on my host machine. The network connection to the host machine is then lost and only a reboot of the VM resolves it. Is there something that needs to be reconfigured either on the host or the VMs?

I have rolled back to 3.2.6 until a workaround/fix has been posted as I need to be able to access files via shares
otamayo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:VMLite 4.x 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 86
is it Windows network share? or the VMLite Shared Folders?

I saw this error before. Did you intall the latest Guest additions to the vm?

otamayo wrote:
Slightly more of a serious issue with the 4.2 beta now; on my VMs I am getting the "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" error when I try accessing any shares directly on my host machine. The network connection to the host machine is then lost and only a reboot of the VM resolves it. Is there something that needs to be reconfigured either on the host or the VMs?

I have rolled back to 3.2.6 until a workaround/fix has been posted as I need to be able to access files via shares
huisinro
graphgraph

Hi huisinro

This is a Windows share as I was still getting the access denied issue when updating files using the VMLite shares. I also updated the VM GA using the version provided with the VMLite
otamayo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...910111213141516