Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VBoot v.2.0 News
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: VBoot v.2.0 News
Re:VBoot v.2.0 News 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 86
Hi Shen,

This is a rather application specific problem. Yes, it will still exists unless you do something clever.

Basically, it's to do with system restore configuration. For example, when you boot win7 from host, and configure it to protect C: drive. Now, you boot win7 using vboot from a vhd, and if you configure it to protect C: drive only, it will remove other drives' restore points. so you need to make sure to protect C: and D: (the host drive).

We will play more to see if can do something automatically. One way is to protect the real volume using vboot hide option, so no changes will be made to the host drive. We need more testing on this.
huisinro
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:VBoot v.2.0 News 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Thx for the very quick reply, Huisinro.

Yes, I'm aware of the approach to protecting Win7 restore points by making the physical drive invisible to the booting XP drive. That's a nuisance for my system, which uses separate physical drives for various operating systems. My primary OS is Win7, so if I have to boot from the XP-based drive to be able to use applications or tools that aren't compatible with Win7, I don't see the Win7 drive.

What's been great is using VMLWS to start an XP virtual machine and being able to access all drives via the shared folder approach. Was hoping that maybe VBoot would allow me to do something clever so that the method of starting XP would not only not destroy Win7 restore points, but also be actually starting from my very "seasoned" XP installation on physical disk, which has in excess of 400GB of applications and data files. (Was my primary drive for many years.)

Slightly off this specific topic: I've not tried MyOldPCs, presuming that an image of a 400+ GB drive content might be unwieldy. However, if MYOldPCs is used as the means to boot an older XP installation, does that process also expose Win7 restore points to destruction?

Shen
Shenzie
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:VBoot v.2.0 News 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 86
It still will, this is due to the system restore application's specific feature. We will see how to protect that System Volume Information folder. will experiment with it.
huisinro
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234