Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VBoot v2 beta feedback
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12345678
TOPIC: VBoot v2 beta feedback
VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi I would like to give some feedback of the v2 beta. Maybe everyone else can post thier feedback here as well?

- Issue inside PE 3.1 environment - vbootctl.exe make command still needs to be run twice to apply wim to VHD. Are you going to fix this?

- some error when launching vbootservice.exe - failed to open disk device \\.\VBOOTMP .. What is that? Should I worry?

- hide switch. I hope you can drop the drive letter syntax eg hide="c:" and change to hide=(hd0,1) or hide=0,1 which is far more easier to understand (being grub based)

- When I applied a syspreped winxp wim file to vhd it does not get to mini-setup but BSOD's before this, something about autochk not being found and then BSOD. (STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}.. Is working no problem with vboot 1.1. So I am back to using 1.1 (until next v2.0 update and will test again ). I noticed that it detected windows 7 (in the /make command output) rather than windows xp sp3 (which v1.1 says in /make command output). I think this is an error in the detection of windows xp and windows 7 and applying wrong driver???
ndog37
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Christchurch - New Zealand Birthday: 01/01
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 86
(1) can you post the output message from "vbootctl mount"? we tested it, and works very well.

(2) that error is ok, it will then auto install the drivers when the device is not found.

(3) we knew this error message c000021a, you need to delete the Group value of vbootmp service from registry, then should work.

Can you double check the detected os? it must be correct, otherwise it will raise errors.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi again

I tested again and the vbootctrl /make command works well. Great!

However the BSOD c000021a is still occuring and only with vboot 2. This is my log.

You mentioned "delete the Group value of vbootmp service from registry". Can you give me the command lines to do this? Thank you.

X:\Tools>"vboot2.0 FAIL\tools\x86\vbootctl.exe" make "c:\vhd\winxp_pro_x86.vhd" "u:\images\wim\WINXP\nathanlite\sysprep.wim" /imageIndex 1 /size 15

VMLite VBoot control program version 2.0
www.vmlite.com

Host OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 32-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601), Version: 6.1
Booted from Windows CD/DVD

virtual disk has been successfully created. Capacity: 15G, Format: VHD, Dynamic
Failed to open disk device: \\.\VBOOTMP
Installing vbootmp driver...
Partition and format virtual disk...
VDS Service Loaded
Found disk with adapter name: VMLite VBoot HBA, target: 0, lun: 0
Format volume...
Mounting volume to drive 'Z:'
ReleaseVdsService()
The new virtual disk is mounted to Z:
Please wait for the disk to be populated, this may take more than 30 mins...
Progress 100%(01 mins remaining)
Successfully started service: VBootService
Processing mapped drive Z: of the new disk...
Found Windows XP (32-bit) in Z:\WINDOWS, version: 5.1, service pack 3
Successfully copied driver file: X:\Tools\vboot2.0 FAIL\tools\x86\drivers\vbootmp\vbootmp.sys->Z:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vbootmp.sys
Successfully copied driver file: X:\Tools\vboot2.0 FAIL\tools\x86\drivers\vbootfs\vbootfs.sys->Z:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vbootfs.sys
Service stopped successfully
VDS Service Loaded
ReleaseVdsService()
DismountMiniDisk(), ret=0x0, targetNumber=0, lunNumber=0
Virtual disk has been successfully made: c:\vhd\winxp_pro_x86.vhd.

X:\Tools>"vboot2.0 FAIL\vbootedit.exe" create title="VHD Windows XP Pro SP3 English" harddisk=c:\vhd\winxp_pro_x86.vhd boot=harddisk hide="c:"
ndog37
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Christchurch - New Zealand Birthday: 01/01

Re: VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 86
It's a bit involving, you need to delete a registry value from the maked vhd. These are the steps:

(1) mount the newly created vhd after make command, let's say mounted to Z:
(2) open regedit, click Local Machine, and load hive z:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM to a key, e.g., S1
(3) now go to S1\ControlSet001\Services\vbootmp
delete the Group value
(4) unmount vhd

and try to reboot.

Let me know if this works, we will try to correct this bug. Group value is ok for other cases, only this sysprepared one has troubles.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re:VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

I tested VBoot 2.0 beta with XP SP3 and Windows shows that the total memory
amount is 499MB, where 330MB are free.

I have 8GB on my machine and without VBoot I have 2.7GB free.

On Win7 SP1 X64 it is basically the same: with VBoot I have 5.8GB free memory
and without it there are 7.1GB.

Is there a way to reduce the VBoot memory requirements ?
test1001
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:VBoot v2 beta feedback 7 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 86
this is very weird. VBoot 2.0 on XP uses less than 100MB memory on our test machines.

are them 64-bit cpus? so when you boot from vbooted vhds, physical memories become less. Can you try to use vboot-black-screen, and check if memory usage would change, see instructions below.

---------
VBoot Loader reserves a memory region for use, this might have conflicts with other devices. For example, there are reports that ATI graphic cards cause black screen during boot. If you get into this problem, you can try to use a different boot file. We provide a file "vboot-black-screen" in c:\vboot folder, you need to rename this file to "vboot". Make sure you backup the original "vboot" file.
huisinro
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12345678