Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager
vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I just extracted vboot-v2.zip to C:\vboot directory (well, extracted it to C:\, it created the C:\vboot dir), copied vbootldr and vbootldr.mbr to C:\ and added the following to the Windows Boot Manager (copied and pasted from instructions to admin command prompt)

bcdedit /create {D3DCE997-7447-41FC-9740-A8D20EE3BF55} /d "VBoot" /application BOOTSECTOR
bcdedit /set {D3DCE997-7447-41FC-9740-A8D20EE3BF55} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {D3DCE997-7447-41FC-9740-A8D20EE3BF55} path \vbootldr.mbr
bcdedit /displayorder {D3DCE997-7447-41FC-9740-A8D20EE3BF55} /addlast
bcdedit /timeout 30

When I reboot I get the Windows Boot Manager with Windows 7 and VBoot options. Windows 7 boots fine, but when I select the VBoot option I get the following error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

etc
etc
etc

File: /vbootldr.mbr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Enter to continue, select Windows 7, boots fine.

bcdedit returns the Windows 7 entry and
identifier <etc>
device partition=C:
path \vbootldr.mbr
description VBoot

I'm not trying to boot into another OS or anything yet, just wanted to see if I could get VBoot set up properly. I should still at least be able to load VBoot and boot my existing Win7 install from there, correct?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
sbaney
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 86
try to use "vbootedit install" to add the boot option directly.

You may need to install vboot to the boot section, which is hidden on windows 7 host. use DiskMgmt.msc to view the partitions, and add a drive letter to the hidden one if you want to do it manually.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Is that the vbootedit64.exe? I did try that first and it just booted right to Windows when I restarted, so I just did the manual install after that.

Here's my Disk Management utility - I want to add a letter to the 100MB EFI System Partition?
sbaney
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/23 11:16 By sbaney.Reason: Added screenshot

Re: vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 86
ok, that partition no need to touch. You can install it to c:\

what error did u get "vbootedit64.exe install"?
huisinro
graphgraph

Re: vbootldr.mbr fails to load from Windows Boot Manager 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I didn't get an error, the exe ran, popped up a command prompt looking window, closed it, and gave no output I could see. I rebooted and the laptop booted right into Win 7.

I guessed vbootedit64.exe was supposed to copy vbootldr and vbootldr.mbr to the C:\ drive, which I didn't see, so I went ahead and did that manually and all the other steps detailed in the OP.

The Windows Boot Manager is functioning fine, it's just claiming the vbootldr.mbr file is corrupt or something. I re-downloaded and re-extracted everything to make sure I didn't get a corrupt zip file or mess something up during extraction. I guess if you have MD5 hashes for the files I could triple check to make sure everything is correct.

I should still get the VBoot menu when I select the VBoot option in Windows Boot Manager regardless of weather or not I have any other virtual disks or partitions aside from my base Win7 install, right?
sbaney
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

OK - running "C:\vboot\vbootedit64.exe install" from the command line shows "cannot find a fixed volume to install the vboot loader"
sbaney
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/11/23 12:20 By sbaney.

Go to topPage: 123