Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi, not sure what I did but after upgrading to last version of VMLite Workstation, I get this error when trying to open an XP mode VM.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XP Machine 1.

Could not open the medium 'C:\users\name\VmLites\XP Machine 1\
Snapshots{ bla bla bla }.vhd'.

VD:error VERR_VD_VHD_INVALID_HEADER opening image file 'C:\users\name\VmLites\XP Machine 1\
Snapshots{ bla bla bla }.vhd'(VERR_VD_VHD_INVALID_HEADER).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0X80004005)
Component: Medium
Interface: [Medium {bla bla bla}

My host is Windows 7, 64 bit. Hope I haven't lost data. Thanks for any help.

dg
dgmyers
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 52
This is a bad sign. Your snapshot vhd might be corrupt. Did your host pc get powered off unexpectedly? You may want to back up the base vhd and snapshot vhds first before you do anything else.

In the worst case, you should be only throw away the snapshot, and restore to previous state.

There is another possible scenario. If you have UAC turned on, sometimes, you may need to run as Administrator. So try to kill all VMLite.exe, VBoxSVC.exe process, then run VMLite as Administrator, and check if that changes anything.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi, Yes unfortunately Win 7 completely locked up on me and I had to shut down via power. I guess this may have corrupted it. I tried your suggestions, to close the processes and run as Admin and I got same error. I went back to a prior snapshot and it gives a new error, VMDEV#0: Config misatch -fkeepCredentials: config=false saved=true[ver12 pass=final]
(VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH)

I don't have any major data loss but I hope I can restore to a prior state rather than starting all over. Thanks for the help!!
dgmyers
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 52
after recover to prior snapshot, you can click "Discard" button to discard saved memory, then start the vm.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
That worked! Thanks, I didn't know what discard was, I thought it was like delete. I'm good now! I learned my lesson - don't try and open 3 VM's at once - that's what locked me up. Thanks for the quick replies.
dgmyers
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

nice ! Discard refers to memory state, new version usually has different memory format from previous version. Most of the time, memory state can be safely discarded. It won't touch any disk files, or machine xml files.

VHD has a serious issue on unexpected host poweroff, we will try to fix this bug. It basically only corrupt a few bytes of the vhd header, and can be recovered.
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 12